Wednesday 29 May 2013

Student profile: Mili Hong

Here is our latest student profile featuring drummer, Mili Hong.  

Where is your hometown?
I spent most of my life in Ilsan, Gyeonggi-do, Korea. I decided to go to Capilano to study Jazz and moved here when I was 21.

What is your favourite thing about learning in the Jazz Studies Department?

The fact that I can talk to faculty members almost anytime is the best thing. They are always willing to help students. Also, jamming at the school is convenient - rooms, gears, and people are there most of the time.

Please describe a few of your most exciting, happiest, or most significant experiences at Cap so far.

The first time I got a chance to play a graduation recital at the end of 3rd year was one of the best moments. I finally felt that I was rewarded for my practice time.

What has been the hardest thing about studying Jazz at Capilano?

In general, learning to play drums and being musical at the same time is hard, but taking all the elective courses is the hardest.  Some of the topics are not as interesting as playing drums! I’m now taking an English 100 course and it is the hardest thing EVER.

What has been the most surprising or unusual thing in your time at Capilano?
After every term or year, I feel like there is even more stuff to learn. It is endless and surprises me.

What are your plans for the future?
I need to graduate first. In the long term, I want to play a lot with many different people and want to be recognized as a good musician with a good soul. 


Here are links to video and audio featuring Mili's wonderful playing with some other fine Cap Jazz musicians.





No comments:

Post a Comment