Wednesday 22 May 2013

Student profile: Jesus Caballero

Here is the first of our student profiles!

Jesus Caballero is a drummer, bandleader, and composer entering his 4th year in Jazz Studies at Capilano University. I asked Jesus to respond to a few questions.



What is your hometown?
I was born in Coatzacoalcos, Veracruz, Mexico. When I was eight years old, me and my family moved to Monterrey, Nuevo Leon, Mexico. I lived there for sixteen years before moving to Vancouver.

What is your favourite thing about learning in the Jazz Studies Department?
The school is small. Everyone knows each other. Students can have a good relationship with faculty. Everyone has their unique sound and no one wants to copy the other.

Please describe a few of your most exciting, happiest, or most significant experiences at Cap so far.
In 2011 I auditioned for the big bands. Didn't get in. I worked hard on my big band chart reading during summer and auditioned again this last year, 2012. After seeing my name on the list of drummers who passed the audition I felt very happy! Thanks to Cap I had a whole year of big band experience. It is also significant that I have had the opportunity to play my own compositions with other great students. The fact that friends and even teachers enjoy my music makes me very happy.

What has been the hardest thing about studying Jazz at Capilano?
After learning all the theory, it was hard to apply it on my compositions. The more music I write, the easier it gets. Ear training and piano class were also hard. They are one of the most important classes I think, and its great knowing how to use the skills learned in them.

What has been the most surprising or unusual thing in your time at Capilano?
It was very surprising the first time a faculty member told me one of my compositions was great.

What are your plans for the future?
I want to record albums, tour, and be successful with original music. I also want to have my own students. Write music for a movie or TV series and probably do a Master' degree.

Here is some video of Jesus' band, The Caballero Quartet, playing one of his compositions with a band of other Cap Jazz students: Sara Kim (voice), Peter Seravalle (guitar) and Nikko Whitworth (bass).

No comments:

Post a Comment